The GILLBT@50 grand finale celebrations will certainly celebrate the accomplishments of the past 50 years, made possible by the sacrificial service of many. In addition, the event seeks to critically rethink the work of mother tongue Bible translation in light of the changed and changing context in which Mother Tongue Bible translation takes place in the country and on the continent. To this end, the first event will be a Conference on the State of Bible Translation in Africa. Key topics will be addresses by persons eminently qualified to address them. Don’t miss the stimulating presentations and discussions on September 20 and 21 at Amegashie Auditorium, University of Ghana Business School, Legon, starting at 9.00AM both mornings.
Some speakers include
- Prof Andrew Walls (University of Edinburgh)
- Rev Prof Gilbert Ansre (Retired, United Bible Societies)
- Rev Prof David Ekem (Trinity Seminary)
- Rev Dr B Y Quarshie (Akrofi-Christaller Institute)
- Rev Dr Emmanuel Anim (Pentecost University College)
- Dr Michel Kenmogne (Francophone Initiative, Wycliffe Global Alliance)
- Mr Kirk Franklin, CEO, Wycliffe Global Alliance
- Dr. Molefetsane Khauoe (South Africa).
The conference will treat Bible translation in its widest sense – encompassing the distribution, use, theologizing and contextualization processes which make the Bible translation product most beneficial for the church, society and the individual.
Immediately following the Conference on the State of Bible Translation will be the Grand Finale Celebration, also at Amegashie Auditorium, starting at 9 AM on September 22.
The topic of the keynote address by Apostle Dr Opoku Onyinah, Chairman, Church of Pentecost International will be “Building a Viable Bible Translation Movement in Africa: Lessons from the Church”. Present will be a number of international guests including:
- Kirk Franklin, CEO, Wycliffe Global Alliance
- Roger Welch, Board Chairman, Wycliffe Global Alliance
- Dr John Watters, President, SIL International
- Mr Freddy Boswell, Executive Director, SIL International
- Mr Mundara Muturi, Africa Area Director, Wycliffe Global Alliance
- Mr Hannes Weissman, Director, Wycliffe Switzerland
- Mrs Karen Floor, Director, Wycliffe South Africa.
A special attraction will be the presentation of the newly completed Nawuri New Testament.
Next will be a GILLBT@50 Awards and Dinner Night which will be held on September 22 at 7 PM.
Then on Sunday September 23 there will be GILLBT@50 Thanksgiving Services at:
- Ebenezer Presbyterian Church, Osu
- Korle Bu Community Chapel
- Legon Interdenominational Church (LIC)
- and other churches in Accra.
You an see photos of the events at:
Conference on the State of Bible Translation – day 1
Conference on the State of Bible Translation – day 2
Grand Finale Celebration – Sept 22
Awards Dinner – Sept 22
A report of the event with photos will be posted before October 5.
For a full program, see http://www.gillbt.org/2012/09/program-state-of-bt/.
For further information contact email@example.com or +233 (0) 302 824 268.